London and East of England winner 2009
Anna Lipski (14),
from Chislehurst, Kent, won the London and East of England regional heat with her...
Spicy Minced Lamb Wrap accompanied by Sweet Carrot Salad and Beetroot with Garlic Yoghurt
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the Sweet Carrot Salad:
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
35g pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped
20g dried cranberries
1 large handful fresh coriander, chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
1tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to season
For the Spicy Lamb Mince:
1tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
Good pinch cayenne pepper
1½ tsp dried cumin
225g Quality Standard lamb mince
1 large handful fresh coriander
5 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
4 small wholemeal wraps
For the Beetroot with Garlic Yoghurt:
1 medium cooked beetroot, peeled and cut into batons
Drizzle of olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
½ garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
½ tsp black onion seeds
- For the sweet carrot salad, place the carrots, nuts, cranberries and coriander in a bowl. Make a dressing with the garlic, olive oil and vinegar, season and add to the salad then mix gently. Chill for later.
- For the spicy lamb mince, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the garlic and chilli for 1-2 minutes, then add the spices and the mince. Cook for 5 minutes until the mince is brown, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for a further 6-8 minutes.
- For the beetroot with garlic and yoghurt, in a small bowl mix together the beetroot, olive oil and lemon juice and set to one side. Mix together the garlic and the salt in a small dish to form a paste and stir 2tbsp of the yoghurt and season with pepper. Set aside for later.
- Remove the pan with the lamb from the heat and add the coriander and tomatoes. Stir in the remaining yoghurt and season if required.
- Spoon the mince mixture evenly into each wrap, roll and arrange on a large plate with the sweet carrot salad.
- Add the beetroot mixture to the same plate, spoon over the garlic yoghurt and finish with the black onion seeds.