Olivia - National Champion
London Winner and National Champion 2010
Moussaka Stuffed Aubergines Topped with a Cheesy Soufflé Sauce
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
225g/8oz lean lamb mince
1 large aubergine, sliced in half lengthways
5ml/1tsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
5ml/1tsp dried parsley
5ml/1tsp dried mint5ml/1tsp ground cinnamon
30ml/2tbsp tomato purée50ml/2floz red wine
For the Cheesy Soufflé Sauce:
15g/½oz plain flour
70g/2½oz hard cheese, e.g Cheddar, grated
15g/½oz grated Parmesan cheese
For the Tomato Salsa:
150g ripe tomatoes (2 medium sized)
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
Small sprig fresh basil leaves
15ml/1tbsp good Balsamic vinegar
Fresh rocket leaves, to serve
- Put the aubergine halves on a chopping board and spoon out the centre of the flesh inside (save this for later). Roughly chopped the reserved aubergine and set to one side.
- Lay the aubergine shells on a baking tray and sprinkle with salt. Turn over to allow the excess moisture to drip out for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the mince and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the dried herbs and spices, tomato purée, the glug of red wine and the reserved aubergine. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Next, melt the margarine in a small non-stick pan under w low heat, once melted add the flour and mix until it becomes a roux (a yellowish paste). Add the milk bit-by-bit to the roux, mixing all the time until any lumps disappear. Stir in the cheese Set aside off the heat.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk and place into separate medium bowls. Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until a thick foam is formed. When the roux is cool whisk in one egg yolk then fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon (it should almost double in volume).
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
- Turn the aubergine shells upright and pat dry with kitchen paper then put on a non-stick baking tray. Spoon the mince mixture into each aubergine half then add the cheesy foam sauce generously over the mince and aubergine. Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden
- To prepare the salad; in a small bowl mix the tomatoes and onions together, tear the basil leaves and add to the salad, season and add half the balsamic vinegar.
- Arrange the rocket leaves on two presentation plates and spoon a little salsa on top. Drizzle the remaining balsamic vinegar onto the plate around the salad.
- Carefully remove the aubergines from the oven and serve with the salad.