Classic hearty dish for cold days. Beef braising or stewing cubes slow cooked with root vegetables in beer with suet and mustard dumplings.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and add the celery, carrots, swede and parsnips. Pour over the beer or stock and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings; in a large bowl mix together the flour, suet, mustard and water.
- Mix together to form a smooth dough and divide into 8 golf-size balls.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, thicken with the gravy granules then place the dumplings on top.
- Cook uncovered for the remainder of the cooking time.