- 450g/1lb lean braising or stewing cubes
- 15ml/1tbsp oil
- 2 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- 6 baby carrots, peeled and left whole
- ½small swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 600ml/1pint beer or good, hot beef stock
- 15ml/1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp gravy granules
- *For the Dumplings:
- 100g/4oz self-raising flour
- 50g/2oz suet
- 15ml/1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 75ml/5tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and add the celery, carrots, swede and parsnips. Pour over the beer or stock and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings; in a large bowl mix together the flour, suet, mustard and water.
- Mix together to form a smooth dough and divide into 8 golf-size balls.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, thicken with the gravy granules then place the dumplings on top.
- Cook uncovered for the remainder of the cooking time.