- 2 lean lamb shanks
- 15ml/1tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 30ml/2tbsp horseradish sauce or fresh horseradish
- 400g/14oz tomato passata
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 300ml/½pint good, hot lamb stock
- 2 fresh rosemary stalks
- 450g/1lb baby potatoes, scrubbed
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 150ºC, 325ºF.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the lamb shanks and fry until golden all over (approx 10 minutes). Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, horseradish sauce and stir together. Pour over the passata, stock and bring to boil. Season. Pour into a casserole dish and add the rosemary.
- Cover and cook for 1½ hours (or alternatively this can be slowly simmered on the hob).
- Add the potatoes, making sure they are covered in the liquid. Continue cooking for a further 30-45 minutes until potatoes are tender and the meat is falling from the bone.
- Serve with stir-fried Savoy cabbage.