- 1kg/2.2kg lean leg of lamb
- 60ml/4tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 60ml/4tbsp English mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 675g-1kg/1½-2lb red potatoes, peeled
- 3 large, carrots, peeled, halved and cut into four lengthways
- 2 red peppers, cored, deseeded and chopped
- Using a sharp knife make deep incisions all over the lamb joint. Mix together the mustards, garlic and herbs. Rub over the lamb and season. If time allows cover and leave in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C,350-375°F.
- Place the joint in a large roasting tray and drizzle with the oil. Roast uncovered for the calculated cooking time. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the roasting tray from the oven and add the potatoes, carrots, peppers and thyme around the lamb joint. Toss gently.
- Serve the lamb whole or sliced with the roasted vegetables.