- 2.75kg/6lb lean rib beef joint (3 ribs), topside or sirloin joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 onions, peeled and cut into chunky dice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 90ml/6tbsp beer
- 45ml/3tbsp rowanberry, quince or redcurrant jelly
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- *For the Yorkshire puddings:
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 150ml/¼pint beer
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Take the beef joint or a smaller joint to suit your family size and calculate the cooking time. Season and place into a roasting tin. Open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated cooking time.
- 25- 30 minutes before the end of cooking time the onions and garlic to the pan.
- Increase the oven temperature to Gas mark 7, 220°C, 425°F for the Yorkshire puddings: In a bowl mix together the flour and eggs, then add the beer and whisk until smooth. Divide the oil between 4 large or 12 small Yorkshire pudding tins and heat in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Pour the batter in the heated tin and cook for 20-25 minutes until risen and browned.
- Serve the beef with the Yorkshire puddings, onions (or add to the gravy) roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.