- 1.8kg/4lb lean lamb leg joint, boned (ask your butcher or meat counter to do this for you)
- *For the Anchovy and Herb Paste:
- 12 anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 large handfuls flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7, 220°C, 425°F.
- Put the anchovy and herb paste ingredients into a blender and blend to a paste.
- Place the boned lamb joint in a large shallow dish and make several slits into the joint. Lay flat and spread with the paste. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours for the flavours to develop.
- Insert 2 long metal or wooden skewers, criss-crossing through the meat.
- Place directly on the shelf in a preheated oven (place a tray underneath to catch the drips) for about 50-60 minutes, turning frequently.
- Alternatively, place on a prepared barbecue not too close to the coals for about 55-60 minutes.
- Serve with a lemon and chive potato salad.
Use a rolled lamb shoulder joint as an alternative. If using wooden skewers, soak in cold water for 20-30 minutes.