Southeast winner 2009
Scarlett Mynard (14),
from Colchester, whose recipe, ‘Beef Koftas wrapped in Parma Ham’ made her the Southeast’s regional winner at the heat in Reading.
Beef Koftas Wrapped in Parma Ham
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
225g Quality Standard beef mince
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1tsp freshly chopped rosemary
1tsp fresh chopped thyme leaves
12 small fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1tsp ground fennel
½ green chilli, finely chopped
4 slices of Parma ham
1tbsp olive oil
1 fresh corn on the cob, halved
1 lemon, cut into wedges
For the Salad:
1 ripe avocado
½ cucumber, chopped
4-6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Soak four small wooden skewers in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Place the mince in a large bowl and add the fresh herbs, fennel, chilli, and seasoning. Mix well.
- With damp hands, mould the mince into four sausage shapes then wrap neatly around each Parma ham slice. Thread onto each skewer. Put on a plate, cover and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Cook the corn on the cob in boiling water (slightly salted if you prefer) for 6-8 minutes then drain. Preheat the grill to medium.
- Brush each kofta with the olive oil and cook under the grill for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the salad, peel, stone and chop the avocado then add to a small bowl with the cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Whisk the lemon juice and extra olive oil together and pour over the salad.
- Serve the koftas with the lemon wedges and the side salad.
This recipe is good with lamb mince too.
Try serving with recipe with prepared couscous too.