Lamb Shanks with Horseradish and Rosemary
2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 lean lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce or fresh horseradish
- 1 x 400g carton tomato passata
- 300ml good, hot lamb stock
- 2 fresh rosemary stalks
- 450g baby potatoes, scrubbed
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the lamb shanks and fry until golden all over (approx 10 minutes). Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, horseradish sauce and stir together. Pour over the passata, stock and bring to boil. Season. Pour into a casserole dish and add the rosemary.
- Cover and cook for 1½ hours (or alternatively this can be slowly simmered on the hob).
- Add the potatoes, making sure they are covered in the liquid. Continue cooking for a further 30-45 minutes until potatoes are tender and the meat is falling from the bone.
- Serve with stir-fried Savoy cabbage.