Tangy Pot Roast
Warming pot roast with silverside or brisket joint slowly cooked with ale and barbecue sauce for a tangy twist.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 1.3kg lean silverside or brisket joint
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 celery sticks, peeled and roughly chopped
- 425ml brown ale, stout or good, hot beef stock
- 100ml ready-made barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish and brown the joint on all sides. Add the onions and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables caramelise.
- Add the brown ale, stout or stock, barbecue sauce and thyme leaves, bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover and cook in the oven or on the hob for 2-2½hours.
- 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the parsnips and continue to cook.
- Serve with the vegetables and mash.