Aromatic Steak Salad with Freekeh and Chimichurri
This super quick thin cut steak salad is ready in under 10 minutes and is a great midweek option. Freekeh grains are combined with sweet peppers, ground coriander and turmeric and served with a chimichurri herb dressing.
- 450g thin cut sirloin steaks
- 1 x 250g pack ready to eat freekeh or 100g cracked freekeh
- 500ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil
- For the Chimichurri:
- 1 x 30g pack freshly chopped coriander, finely chopped
- ½ x 25-30g pack flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
If using cracked freekeh, cook according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
For the chimichurri, put all the ingredients into a small bowl, season, mix together to combine and set aside. Mix 4 tablespoons of the herb mixture into the freekeh along with the red and yellow pepper.
Heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot.
In a small bowl mix together the cumin, turmeric and oil. Season the steaks and rub with the spice mixture on both sides.
Cook the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side then thinly slice.
Spoon the freekeh onto a plate, arrange the steak on top, spoon over the remaining chimichurri and serve.