Beef with Broccoli Stir-fry
Try this easy stir fry recipe for a midweek meal, packed with protein and vegetables for a quick healthy option.
- 600g lean rump steaks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15g piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce (or 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce)
- 4 teaspoons tomato purée
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml sherry or white wine (this can be substituted with 25ml white wine vinegar)
- 150g tenderstem broccoli, thinly sliced
- Heat half the oil in a non-stick wok or large frying pan and fry the red onion, garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes
- Add the Chinese five spice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, tomato purée, lemon juice and wine (or sherry). Cook for one minute, then transfer to a bowl
- Put the broccoli into a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok or frying pan and cook the steak for 6 - 7 minutes until brown.
- Drain the broccoli, add to the wok or pan with the red onion mix. Heat gently for a few minutes until heated through.
- Serve with boiled rice or cooked noodles.