Cucumber and Onion Pickle
This cucumber and onion pickle is great served with pulled brisket, burgers and cold meats. The recipe makes two 450g jars.
- 1 large cucumber (approximately 400g), washed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- For the Pickling liquid:
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- Put the cucumber slices and onions in a large bowl in layers. Sprinkle with the salt, cover and leave for 2 hours, turning once gently. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, make the pickling liquid; put all the ingredients in a pan and warm over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Pack the cucumber slices in 2 cold, but sterilised* jars and pour over the vinegar to cover the cucumber and onions.
- Tap the jars to remove any air pockets, seal with a wax disc and the cover. Leave the jars in a cool, dark place for 1 week to mature.
- Serve the relish with burgers or cold meats.