Indian Lamb Spiced Casserole
Hearty casserole with lamb or mutton cubes and Indian spices. Will feed up to 6 hungry mouths.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 675g lean boneless lamb or mutton (shoulder or leg), cut into 2.5cmcubes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 x 400g can cherry or chopped tomatoes
- 150ml good, hot lamb stock
- ½ x 400g can haricot beans, drained
- 100g curly kale or cabbage, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Meanwhile, place the lamb in a large bowl, add the seasoning and spices and mix gently.
- Cook the lamb in batches for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Cook the onions in the same frying pan for 1-2 minutes and add to the casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1½-2 hours.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the haricot beans and kale or cabbage.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped coriander and serve the casserole with mango chutney, chapattis, naan bread or rice.