- 450g/1lb lamb shoulder or leg steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or 30ml/2tbsp garlic purée
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated (frozen will do too)
- 30ml-60ml/2-4tbsp curry paste or powder of your choice
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 150g/5oz frozen spinach
- Large bunch freshly chopped coriander
- 500g/1lb 2oz cooked basmati rice
- Lime/lemon wedges, to garnish
- Extra freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C.
Heat 15ml/1tbsp oil each in two separate pans and cook the lamb, half the onions, garlic and ginger in one pan and the remaining onions, garlic, ginger in the second pan. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 6-8 minutes until the meat in the pan is brown and the onion mixture is soft.
Add equal quantities of the curry paste or powder to each pan according to your preference and for 1-2 minutes to release the flavours. Add the lamb stock to the pan with the lamb mixture. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, season to taste and add half the coriander.
Add spinach to the second pan with the onion and garlic mixture. Heat gently, stirring occasionally until the spinach thaws. Remove from the heat, season to taste and add the remaining coriander.
Spoon half the lamb mix (including half the stock) into a 600ml/1pint lightly greased rectangular ovenproof dish, then half the spinach mix and half the rice. Repeat the steps finishing with the rice.
Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.Serve with mango chutney, naan or pitta bread and a cucumber raita.
Serve with mango chutney, naan or pitta bread and a cucumber raita.