Marrow and Tomato Chutney
A tasty chutney made with seasonal marrow and tomato. Great served with all curries
1 hour 30 minutes
- 900g/2lb marrow, peeled and deseeded (you should have 450g/1lb in weight) and roughly chopped
- 450g/1lb tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 225g/8oz red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 300g/11oz light brown sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp pickling spice tied in a small spice muslin or 10ml/2tsp each black peppercorns and whole allspice
- 5ml/1tsp ground ginger
- 100g/4oz sultanas
- 300ml/½pint cider or white wine vinegar
- Place all the ingredients in a large stainless steel pan and gently bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours until the mixture is jam-like.
- Meanwhile prepare the jars. Wash the glass jars in hot soapy water, rinse and pop in a low preheated oven at Gas mark 1/110°C/225°F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- When the chutney is ready (the mixture should still be a little runny) remove from the heat, discard the pickling spices and spoon into sterilised jars. Cover the top surface of the chutney with waxed paper discs cut to size to seal. Cover with the lid whilst still hot, label and store in a cool place for up to 3 months.