- 1.025 kg half lamb bone-in or boneless shoulder joint
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon each of ground fenugreek, ground paprika, ground cumin and ground cinnamon
- 12 black peppercorns
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3. Transfer the onion and garlic to a food processor or ‘bullet’ blender. Add the lemon juice, oil, spices, peppercorns and some salt. Blend to a paste.
- Put the lamb joint into an ovenproof roasting dish or slow cooker. With a sharp knife cut some slashes into the meat and rub the paste all over the joint.
- Pour a little water into the base of the roasting dish or slow cooker. Cover the roasting dish with foil and roast for 4 hours, or cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven or slow cooker and allow to cool slightly before shredding the lamb with two forks. Serve immediately with accompaniments.
Tips:Great served pulled on flatbreads with houmous, salad, Greek style yogurt and pomegranate seeds