Red Thai Lamb Shanks
Delicious weekend lunch or supper for four, slow cooked lamb shanks with a red thai curry and coconut sauce.
- 4 lean lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons Red Thai curry paste
- 2 x 200-250ml cartons coconut cream
- 450ml good, hot lamb stock
- 375g small new potatoes, skin on and halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil or coriander
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Place the lamb shanks on a chopping board and season. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden. Spoon into the casserole dish. Add the curry paste, coconut cream, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and transfer to the oven for 2½-3 hours, or until the meat falls away from the bone.
- 25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the potatoes, mix well, cover and return to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Stir gently, garnish with the herbs and serve with couscous or rice and seasonal vegetables.