Roast Red Onions with Chestnuts
A great autumnal vegetable accompaniement with red onions and chestnuts
- 6 small red onions, peeled and left whole
- 4 fresh baby beetroots,peeled (optional)
- 4 streaky bacon rashers
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 30ml/2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5ml/1tsp chilli flakes
- 5ml/1tsp sugar
- 225g/8oz vacuum packed whole, peeled chestnuts
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190ºC, 350-375ºF.
- Place the red onions, beetroots, bacon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chilli flakes and sugar into a roasting pan and toss well together. Roast uncovered for about 30-40 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Serve with the lamb guard of honour.