- 1 x 350-450g/12-14oz lean mini beef topside roasting joint (we used silverside)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp caraway seeds (you will find this in the spice aisle section), crushed
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 5ml/1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- *For the Gravy:
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- In a small bowl mix together the caraway seeds, garlic, chilli flakes and oil.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board. Make several slashes over the surface of the joint and season all over. Spread the mixture over the surface of the joint.
- Transfer to a roasting rack in a medium non-stick roasting tin and roast for 30-40 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove the joint from the oven, transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes, 20 minutes if time allows.
- Meanwhile prepare the gravy; Spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock and any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
- Slice the beef and serve with potatoes, the gravy and steamed red cabbage.