- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- 10ml/2tsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, deseeded (if preferred) and finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
- 45ml/3tbsp garam masala or medium curry powder
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp white sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 100g/4oz fresh or frozen peas
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat for 10 minutes or until soft and lightly golden.
Add the ginger, chillies, cumin and garam masala or curry powder. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the lamb and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato purée and bring to the boil. Season, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water, if needed.
10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the peas.
Garnish with the coriander and serve with flat or naan bread, plain basmati rice or poppadums and a selection of relishes.