- 675g/1½lb lean lamb neck fillet, or boneless shoulder steak, cubed
- 450g/1lb new potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 small aubergines, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 60ml/4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- *For the Mint Pesto:
- 60ml/4tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 large bunch fresh mint leaves, stalks removed
- 10ml/2tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 90ml/6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large roasting tin, mix together the lamb, potatoes, garlic, aubergines, peppers, oil and seasoning then spread out evenly.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until the lamb is melting tender and the vegetables are cooked. From time to time during cooking shake the pan.
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto: Put the almonds, mint leaves, mustard and seasoning in a food processor or blender and blend to a rough paste. Gradually add the oil in a steady flow. Season well.
- Spoon the pesto into a bowl and serve with the lamb with plenty of garlic bread.
Use a rolled lamb shoulder joint as an alternative.