- 1kg/2.2lb lean leg of lamb joint
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into strips
- 60ml/4tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 1kg/2.2lb potatoes, peeled and par-boiled for 10 minutes
- 1 x 50g can anchovy fillets
- Double cream
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and using a sharp knife make deep incisions all over the surface and stuff with the garlic and 45ml/3tbsp of the thyme. Transfer to a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Open roast for preferred calculated cooking time.
- 30 minutes before end of cooking time add the potatoes to the roasting tin and coat well with lamb juices, roast until end of cooking time or until potatoes are crisp and golden. Remove lamb and potatoes from the oven. Transfer the lamb on to a carving dish, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Keep potatoes warm.
- To make the sauce; Skim off excess fat from roasting tin, add the anchovies and mash down with wooden spoon or fork. Add oranges zest and juice, cream and the remaining thyme. Bring to boil stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Carve the lamb and serve with roast potatoes, the sauce and seasonal vegetables of your choice, eg, boiled and mashed carrot and swede or butter mashed celeriac.