- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 150ml/¼pint oyster sauce
- 45ml/3tbsp black treacle
- 150ml/¼pint hot water
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface of the joint, taking care not to cut the butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands. Season.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint on both sides. Transfer to a large flame/ovenproof casserole dish with a lid.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then cover and cook in the oven or on the hob for 3-3½ hours.
- Shred the brisket into strips, toss in the sauce and serve on a bed of chilli noodles and steamed pak choi.
A slow cooker version of this recipe is also available.