- 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 150ml/¼pint oyster sauce
- 45ml/3tbsp black treacle
- 75ml/5tbsp hot water
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface and season. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint on all sides. Transfer to a large slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients.
- Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturer’ handbook.
- Shred the beef, toss in the sauce and serve with chilli noodles and steamed pak choi.
Try this recipe with mini brisket joints too.