- 900g/2lb ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and quartered
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 whole cloves (tied together in a small clean piece of muslin)
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground ginger
- 1.25ml/¼tsp dried chilli flakes
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- 200ml/7fl oz white wine or cider vinegar
- 250g/9oz caster or light brown sugar
Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices, chilli flakes, salt and vinegar in a large pan.
Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes and onions are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar to dissolve.
Return the pan to the heat and simmer gently, uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vinegar is absorbed and the chutney is thick and jam-like.
Discard the muslin and spoon the mixture into warm, sterilised jars. Seal with a wax disc and cover. Leave the jars in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month to mature before eating.