Pulled Beef Brisket
This brisket joint is cooked is cooked very slowly in a low oven with tomatoes, barbecue sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, stock and smoked paprika. The tender meat is 'pulled' and shredded before serving.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1.3kg lean brisket joint
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100ml prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
- Baguettes or bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, 130°C Fan, Gas Mark 2.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper all over. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Transfer to the casserole dish with the joint.
- Add the tomatoes, barbecue sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, stock and paprika. Bring to the boil, cover and slow roast in the oven for 3-3½hours until the beef is tender.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board and `pull’ the cooked beef apart by securing the joint with a fork and shredding the meat with another fork.
- Pile the pulled brisket in baguettes or rolls, spoon over the sauce and serve with cucumber and onion relish.
Tips:If preferred slice the brisket and serve with the sauce, creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.
Additional Recipe Information:
Slow cooker version
For the the slow cooker cooking method, follow the cooking method and ingredients, but omit the stock. Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or on LOW for 8-10 hours or according to your manufacturer's handbook.