Beef Casserole with Dumplings
This delicious beef casserole recipe makes a classic hearty dish that is perfect for cold days. Beef braising or stewing cubes slow cooked with root vegetables in beer with suet and mustard dumplings.
- 450g lean braising or stewing cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- 6 baby carrots, peeled and left whole
- ½ small swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 600ml beer or good, hot beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons gravy granules
For the Dumplings:
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g suet
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 5 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and add the celery, carrots, swede and parsnips. Pour over the beer or stock and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings; in a large bowl mix together the flour, suet, mustard and water.
- Mix together to form a smooth dough and divide into 8 golf-size balls.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, thicken with the gravy granules then place the dumplings on top.
- Cook uncovered for the remainder of the cooking time.