Beef Pilau Rice
A spiced meal in one using beef mince for a filling and flavoursome dinner.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- 225g basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g frozen green peas
- 850ml good, hot beef stock
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1tablespoon toasted flaked almonds or unsalted cashew nuts
- Extra flat-leaf parsley or coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat a large, shallow non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince and onion for 10-15 minutes until brown. Stir through the spices and herbs.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish and add the rice, carrots, peas and stock. Cover, reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir through the lemon juice.
- Finish with toasted flaked almonds or cashews and herbs before serving.