Classic Chilli Con Carne
Our classic chilli con carne uses beef mince and is packed with flavour. Serve with plain boiled rice, jacket potatoes, gucamole and a green salad.
1 hour 25 minutes
- 675g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 150ml good red wine or good, hot beef stock
- 2 x 400g can cherry or chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1-2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1-2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 cubes good quality dark chocolate, 70% minimum cocoa solids (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained
- Handful freshly chopped coriander
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
Add the mince and cook for 8-10 minutes until brown, breaking down any meaty chunks with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the red wine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli flakes, sweet chilli sauce, spices, bay leaves and chocolate (if used). Season.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the red kidney beans, stir and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
Garnish with the freshly chopped coriander and serve with rice, jacket potatoes, or crusty bread, guacamole, soured cream and a green salad.