Autumn Fruit Relish
A chutney-style relish for cold meats with blackberries, apples, onions, sugar, red wine vinegar and spices.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 100g blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan, add the onion and cook slowly for 8-10 minutes until softened and browned. Add the garlic, large chilli, sugar and red wine vinegar. Cook for a further 5 minutes stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the apples, blackberries and allspice. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and cook on a reduced heat until the apples are fluffy, approx 10 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a jar and seal. The relish will keep in a refrigerator a week or so.
- Delicious served with hot or cold meats (makes sufficient to serve twice).