Carrot and Date Chutney
A delicious seasonal chutney made with carrots, dates, ginger, garlic and aromatic spices. Great with cold meats. Makes two 450g jars.
- 150ml/¼pint white wine or cider vinegar
- 300g/10½oz caster sugar
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 10ml/2tsp mild or medium chilli powder
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 10ml/2tsp garam masala
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- 150g/5oz dried dates, roughly chopped
1. Heat the vinegar and sugar in a large pan until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add the carrots, ginger, garlic, spices and salt. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir in the dates and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the carrot mixture is almost dry.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and cool. Spoon the mixture into two sterilised jars.
5. Seal with a wax disc and cover. Leave the jars in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month to mature before eating.