Carrot and Date Chutney
A delicious seasonal chutney made with carrots, dates, ginger, garlic and aromatic spices. Great with cold meats. Makes two 450g jars.
- 150ml white wine or cider vinegar
- 300g caster sugar
- 450g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons mild or medium chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150g dried dates, roughly chopped
- Heat the vinegar and sugar in a large pan until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the carrots, ginger, garlic, spices and salt. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the dates and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the carrot mixture is almost dry.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool. Spoon the mixture into two sterilised jars.
- Seal with a wax disc and cover. Leave the jars in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month to mature before eating.