Masala Beef Kebabs
Cubes or rump steaks marinated in natural yogurt and spices, mango chutney and fresh coriander. Great cooked under a grill, or if the weather is good on a prepared barbecue with fresh bay leaves and chillies.
- 450g lean rump steaks, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons Greek or thick set yogurt
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- Small handful freshly chopped coriander
- 16 fresh bay leaves, optional
- 16 small whole red and green chillies, optional
For the cucumber, tomato and onion raita:
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, deseeded and roughly diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- In a large bowl mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the beef, stir gently, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or overnight if time allows
- Thread the meat, bay leaves and chillies (if used) onto 4 short metal skewers.
- Cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve with naan bread and a cucumber, tomato and onion raita.
For the Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Raita
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, cover and chill until required.
- Serve with the masala kebabs.