Masala Beef Kebabs
Cubes or rump steaks marinated in natural yogurt and spices, mango chutney and fresh coriander. Great cooked under a grill or if the weather is good on a preheated barbecue with fresh bay leaves and chillies
- 450g/1lb lean rump steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp garam masala
- 10ml/2tsp ground coriander
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 60ml/4tbsp Greek or thick set yogurt
- 60ml/4tbsp mango chutney
- Small handful freshly chopped coriander
- 16 fresh bay leaves, optional
- 16 small whole red and green chillies, optional
For the cucumber, tomato and onion raita
- :1 cucumber, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, deseeded and roughly diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- In a large bowl mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the beef, stir gently, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or overnight if time allows
- Thread the meat, bay leaves and chillies (if used) onto 4 short metal skewers.
- Cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve with naan bread and a cucumber, tomato and onion raita.
Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Raita
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, cover and chill until required.
- Serve with the masala kebabs.