Pear and Cranberry Chutney
A festive seasonal chutney that is perfect with cold roast beef or lamb. Makes two 450g jars or 6-8 smaller gift jars, depending on size.
- 900g dessert pears, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 150g light brown sugar
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 225g fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed, if frozen
- Put all the ingredients into a large pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve the chutney hot or cold with cooked sliced roast meats or spoon the mixture into sterilised jars, labelled and given as gifts for Christmas.