Pear and Cranberry Chutney
A festive seasonal chutney that is perfect with cold roast beef or lamb. Makes two 450g/1lb jars or 6-8 smaller gift jars, depending on size.
- 900g/2lb dessert pears, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 150g/5oz light brown sugar
- 100ml/3½fl oz fresh orange juice
- 10ml/2tsp mustard seeds
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground ginger
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground mixed spice
- 225g/8oz fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed, if frozen
Put all the ingredients into a large pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Serve the chutney hot or cold with cooked sliced roast meats or spoon the mixture into sterilised jars, labelled and given as gifts for Christmas.