Tequila Roast Beef with Orange and Red Onion Relish
Ideal for family gatherings this roast sirloin, rib or topside is marinated with tequilla, orange and lime for a fresh and fruity twist. Served with an orange and red onion relish.
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1.3kg-1.8kg lean sirloin, fore rib or topside joint
- Knob of butter, softened
- For the Tequila Marinade:
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 125ml Tequila
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- For the Orange and Red Onion Relish:
- 2 oranges, peeled, segmented and roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170 °C Fan, Gas mark 4-5.
- In a small bowl mix the tequila marinade ingredients together and set aside.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface of the joint. Transfer to a large shallow dish, season with salt and pepper and rub the marinade all over the joint. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the joint from the refrigerator and spread with the butter. Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Meanwhile, prepare the relish; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Slice the beef and serve with the relish, roast new potatoes and seasonal vegetables.