Braised Lamb with Mushrooms and Butternut Squash
1 hour 10 minutes
- 450-675g/1-1½lb lean boneless lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp sunflower oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 175g/6oz chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 15ml/1tbsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 100ml/3½fl oz sweet cider or apple juice
- 150ml/¼pint good, hot lamb stock
- 30ml/2tbsp half fat crème fraîche
- Extra freshly chopped rosemary leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
2. Place the lamb in a large bowl, add the rosemary leaves, season and toss gently to coat.
3. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the lamb for 3-4 minutes in batches until brown and transfer to a large casserole dish.
4. Add the remaining oil to the same frying pan, reduce the heat and cook the shallots and mushrooms until soft but not coloured. Transfer to the casserole dish.
5. Add the squash and the remaining ingredients except the crème fraîche and extra rosemary leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat then cover and cook in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
6. Stir through the crème fraîche, garnish with the rosemary and serve with rice and wilted baby spinach leaves.