Coarse Liver Pate
This paté is great served as part of a starter over the festive period or as a canapé topping for impromptu parties and get-togethers. It’s easy to make up in advance just pop in the fridge until required.
- 375g/12oz ox liver, trimmed
- 225g/8oz pancetta cubes or finely chopped streaky bacon
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2.5ml/½ level tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp Cognac or brandy
- 25g/1oz melted butter, optional
- :Crusty bread or Melba toast
- :Fresh bay leaves and redcurrants, optional
- Heat a large non-stick pan and cook the pancetta or bacon for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the liver, onion, garlic, herbs, seasoning and Cognac or brandy. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the liver is brown, but still slightly pink in the middle. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and coarsely blend with the melted butter (if used).
- Cool for 20-30 minutes, then spoon into 4 x150ml/¼pint small ramekin dishes.
- Garnish with fresh bay leaves and cranberries or redcurrants and serve with crusty bread or Melba toast.