- 1.8kg floury potatoes. e.g. Desiree, Cara or Maris Piper, peeled and cut in half.
- 100ml sunflower or olive oil or 100g beef dripping, goose or duck fat
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C Fan, Gas Mark 6.
- Heat a large roasting tin with the oil or dripping in the oven for 5 minutes. Par-boil the potatoes in a large pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and shake the saucepan, to give the potatoes a rough texture.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and carefully add the potatoes. Toss gently, return to the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Tips:For extra flavour add a crumbled vegetable stock cube in the water when boiling the potatoes or add 1-2 sprigs of fresh rosemary. For a really crunchy texture dust the potatoes in plain flour or fine polenta (cornmeal) after par-boiling. To give your potatoes that extra flavour use the oil from your roast beef or lamb joint to roast your potatoes.