Potato and Onion Bake
A delicious potato and onion bake made with hot stock instead of cream. Great served as a side dish with beef and lamb dishes.
- 675g waxy potatoes, e.g. King Edward or Maris Piper, skin on and very finely sliced
- 15g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C,160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Rinse the potatoes in cold running water, drain and pat dry in a thick tea towel or absorbent kitchen paper.
- Grease a shallow ovenproof dish (approximately 20cm x 15cm and 2.5cm depth) with half the butter and place a layer of potatoes over the base of the dish. Top with a layer of onions and season.
- Repeat until all the vegetables are used, finishing with a neat potato layer and press down firmly.
- Pour over the stock and dot with the remaining butter. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Serve with the fillet steaks.