Roast Beef with Anchovy Gravy
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.8kg lean boneless rib, sirloin or topside joint
- 4 teaspoons English mustard
For the Anchovy Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- 2-4 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, season with salt and pepper. Rub the mustard over the surface of the joint.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove the joint from the oven. Cover and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy; spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard.
- Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock and anchovies, and any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain
- Serve the beef with the gravy and roasted vegetable bundles.