Slow Cooked Breast of Lamb with Caribbean Spices
A delicious barbecue or alfresco recipe featuring boneless breast of lamb marinated in Caribbean spices. A sure hit for all the family
2 hours 20 minutes
- 900g-1.3kg/2-3lb lean boneless lamb breast (unrolled)
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10ml/2tsp ground allspice
- 1 x 15g pack fresh thyme leaves
- 100ml/3½floz dark soy sauce
- 50ml/2floz dark rum
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- 45ml/3tbsp brown sugar
- To prepare the marinade; put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the lamb breast on a chopping board and make several slashes on each side with a sharp knife. Transfer to a shallow dish. Using rubber or disposable gloves rub the marinade over the lamb on both sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2, 150°C, 300°F. Remove the lamb from the marinade and transfer to a roasting rack in a foil-lined roasting tin. Cover with foil and roast slowly for 1 hour 40 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
- Finish off the lamb on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill for 10 minutes, turning once. Slice the lamb into strips and serve with prepared roasted vegetables.