Slow Cooked Lamb Breast with Dill and Lemon
A great alfresco dish using a forgotten cut - whole breast of lamb. Slow cooked in the oven with fresh dill, lemon zest &juice, then finished on the barbecue.
1 hour 40 minutes
- 900g-1.3kg lean boneless lamb breast (unrolled)
For the Marinade:
- 60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped dill
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
For the Beetroot and Potato Salad:
- 450g salad potatoes, e.g. Charlotte, quartered, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 x 250g pack plain beetroot, drained and diced
- 4 tabespoons prepared lemon mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
1. To prepare the marinade; mix all the ingredients together.
2. Place the lamb breast on a chopping board and make several slashes on each side with a sharp knife. Transfer to a shallow dish. Using rubber or disposable gloves rub the marinade over the lamb on both sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2. Remove the lamb from the marinade and transfer to a roasting rack in a foil-lined roasting tin. Cover with foil and roast slowly for 1 hour 40 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
4. In a large bowl mix all the salad ingredients together, cover and set aside.
5. Finish off the lamb on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill for 10 minutes, turning once. Slice the lamb into strips and serve with the salad.