Stilton Stuffed Rump Steak
Ideal entertaining dish or weekend supper. Rump steaks stuffed with creamy blue cheese and complimented by tangy sweet and sour red onion relish.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 x 175g lean rump steaks,
- 150g blue cheese, e.g. Stilton
- 15g butter, slightly softened
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
For the sweet and sour onions:
- 25g butter
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 200ml red wine
- 4 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
- Place the cheese, butter, cream and hazelnuts in a small bowl. Mash together and season.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board and make a small incision at opposite ends of the steaks, taking care not to cut through the flesh.
- Carefully open each pocket and fill with the cheese mixture. Secure each pocket with a cocktail stick, if required. Place on to a plate, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the sweet and sour onions; gently heat the butter in a large pan and add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 4-5 minutes until caramelise, stirring occasionally.
- To cook the steaks; heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Season the steaks on both sides and cook according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with a portion of the onion marmalade, a jacket potato and a side salad.