Beef Casserole with Sweetcorn Dumplings
This particular beef casserole recipe has a bit of a twist, as it contains sweetcorn dumplings. These dumplings are crispy and delicious, helping to make this dish a fantastic winter comfort food. Although casseroles have been around for centuries, they are still a British family favourite. Quick beef casserole This beef casserole uses braising cubes and therefore takes minimum prep time. This easy recipe means that once you’ve popped the casserole in the oven to bake, you can spend your time on something else.
- 675g braising cubes (chuck and blade) or stewing cubes (shin and leg), cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 8 small shallots or button onions, peeled and left whole
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- 300ml good red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
For the Sweet Corn Dumplings:
- 225g self-raising flour, sieved
- Pinch salt
- 50g cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
- 150g sweetcorn kernels
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the meat for 4-5 minutes, in batches until brown. Spoon into a large casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Add the shallots, garlic and carrots to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, wine, vinegar and herbs to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, season and stir in the golden syrup.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare the dumplings: place the flour and salt in a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Season. Add the remaining ingredients, mix together to form a smooth dough and shape into 8 even-sized balls.
- 20-25 minutes before the end of cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, add the dumplings, return to the oven and cook uncovered for the remaining cooking time.
- Serve with extra vegetables.