Beef Casserole with Herb Dumplings
A hearty beef casserole using cubes of shin or chuck steak served with herb dumplings. A great weekend dish.
- 675g/1½lb lean boneless shin or chuck steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 10 small shallots, or button onions, peeled
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour
- 900ml/1½pint good, hot beef stock
- 45ml/3tbsp brandy or cognac, optional
- 30ml/2tbsp horseradish sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
For the Herb Dumplings:
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g/2oz cold butter, cubed
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped thyme or flat-leaf parsley
- 120-150ml/8-10tbsp cold water
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, season the beef and cook for 4-5 minutes in batches until brown and transfer to a 1.7L/3pint ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same pan add the shallots or onions, garlic, carrots and parsnips and
- cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour, cook for 1-2 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, brandy or cognac, if used, horseradish sauce and herbs. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare the dumplings; put the flour and salt into a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix together to form a smooth dough and shape into 8 medium-sized balls.
- 20-25 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the casserole from the oven, adjust the seasoning, add the dumplings and return to the oven uncovered.
- Serve with creamy mash and braised Savoy cabbage.