Beef Stew with Red Wine,Plums and Celeriac
A delcious slow cooked beef stew for the weekend made with boneless shin or chuck steak, herbs, onions, garlic, red wine or grape juice, beef stock, celeriac, plums for that touch of sweetness and freshly chopped parsley.
2 hours 35 minutes
- 675g/1½lb lean boneless shin or chuck steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 60ml/4tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz plain flour mixed with 15-30ml/1-2tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 300ml/½pint good red wine or red grape juice
- 600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ vanilla pod, split and seeds removed, optional
- ½ small celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 3 fresh red plums, stoned and quartered
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Place the flour and seasoning into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
- Heat 45ml/3tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.7L/3pint ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the wine and stock, scraping the base of the pan to release any sediment and pour into the casserole dish. Bring this to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and vanilla, cover and transfer to the oven and continue to cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and discard the vanilla pod. Add the celeriac, return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 20-25 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the plums, return to the oven and continue cooking.