Pearl Barley and Walnut Stuffing
An unusual, but tasty stuffing made with pearl barley, onions, celery, herbs and toasted walnuts
- 75g/3oz pearl barley, rinsed
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 15g/½oz butter, melted
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small celery stick, finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or rosemary
- 50g/2oz walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Cook the pearl barley in a large saucepan with stock for 45-50 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and celery for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and slightly coloured.
Add the remaining stuffing ingredients to the pan and mix well.
Using the stuffing in a rolled shoulder of lamb or crown roast.