Stuffed Braised Lambs Heart
- 4 prepared lambs hearts
- 8 streaky bacon rashers
For the onion and mushroom stuffing:
- 40g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 50g mushrooms, chopped
- 75g sausagemeat
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- 1 small egg, beaten
For the braising sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- Dash Tabasco sauce, optional
- 100ml red wine
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the stuffing, heat half the butter in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and mushrooms. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- To make the braising sauce, heat the oil in the same frying pan, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the stock, tomatoes, Tabasco (if used) and wine. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, season and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the parsley, cover and set aside.
- Season the hearts and spoon the stuffing mixture into the cavity of each. Wrap with the bacon and secure with butcher's string. Heat the remaining butter in the same frying pan and brown the hearts on both sides. Transfer to a roasting dish.
- Pour over the sauce, cover and cook for 2 hours, or until the hearts are tender.
- Remove the butcher's string, slice and serve with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.