Lemony Lamb Chops with Spiced Cherry Chutney
A lovely seasonal recipe featuring all the ingredients of summer. Lamb chops are coated with fresh thyme leaves and lemon zest, popped on the barbecue and served with a home made spiced cherry chutney.
- 4 lean lamb loin chops
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 900g fresh cherries, stalks removed, stoned and halved
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 250g light brown sugar
- 1 x 5cm piece cinnamon stick
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- For the spiced cherry chutney; place all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the chutney has thickened.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and spoon into large clean sterilised kilner or 2 jam jars. Cool and seal.
- Place the chops on a chopping board, season and brush with the oil. Sprinkle on both sides with the thyme and lemon zest.
- Cook the chops on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated grill for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Serve the lamb with a spoonful of the chutney, a crisp salad and crusty bread.