Beef Casserole with Herb Dumplings (Easy)
A hearty beef casserole using cubes of shin or chuck steak served with herb dumplings. A great weekend dish.
- 675g cubed stewing or braising beef
- 25g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 x 500g prepared vegetable stew pack
- 450ml hot beef stock (cubes or granules)
- 300ml good red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
For the Herb Dumplings:
- 1 x 180g pack (approx) prepared dumpling mix
- Place the flour in a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.7L ovenproof casserole dish with a lid.
- Add the vegetables, stir in the stock, wine and the herbs, cover and cook in the oven for 1½-2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings according to the packet instructions Shape into 8 evenly-sized balls.
- 20-25 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the dumplings on top of the casserole and return to the oven uncovered.